What is WMI Provider or WmiPrvSE.exe ?
WMI Provider Host or WmiPrvSE.exe is windows service which stands for Windows Management Instrumentation Provider. This service is responsible for running all the applications. In case of its failure your system will slow down and most of you PC features will be disabled.
According to many users, this process sometimes is utilising most of the system resources like CPU, disk and memory. So to Fix WmiPrvSE.exe or WMI Provider Host High CPU problem, here we provided some methods to resolve this issue.
Troubleshoot WMI provider Host High CPU usage issue
Method 1: Restart WMI Provider Host Service
- Open Run command by holding Windows key + r.
- Type Services.msc and hit OK.
- In Services window, Scroll down and Find Windows Management Instrumentation.
- Now Right Click on it and select restart.
- Restart your system and verify whether the problem got resolved or not.
Note: If still it continues then follow the below method to restart other WMI Provider Host related service.
Method 2: Run Command prompt As Administrator
- Hold Windows key + x and select Command prompt (Admin) option.
- Type the following commands one by one and press enter.
- net stop iphlpsvc
- net stop wscsvc
- net stop Winmgmt
- net start Winmgmt
- net start wscsvc
- net start iphlpsvc
- Restart your computer and now check for the WMI provider host high CPU issue resolved or not.
Method 3 : Uninstall Incompatible Drivers and Programs
- Open Power menu by holding windows key +x and select Event Viewer.
- In the Event Viewer window, Go to View and click Show Analytic and Debug logs.
- Go to the Left pane and Navigate to Application and services logs > Microsoft > Windows > WMI Activity > Operational log.
- Click on Operational log. Now in the right hand pane you will see if any errors along with event ID.
- Note down the Event Id of WMI provider host error.
- Open task manager by holding Windows key + x.
- In task manager, go to Services and find the process with event Id which is marked as error in event viewer window.
- Right click on the service and select Stop to disable it.
Method 4: Boot Into Safe Mode with Networking
- Hold Windows key + r to open run command.
- Type msconfig and hit OK.
- In system configuration window, navigate to Boot tab.
- Check the option “safe boot” and choose Network option.
- Now Click on Apply and OK to save changes.
- Save all the important files and then click restart.
- Hold windows key + x and choose Command prompt (Admin).
- Now, type the following command and hit enter.msdt.exe -id MaintenanceDiagnostic
- After that a troubleshoot window opens then Click on Next.
- In case if it detects any problem then follow some on-screen instruction to solve the issue. Otherwise it appears like below window.
- Again in the Command prompt, type the following command and hit enter.msdt.exe /id PerformanceDiagnostic
- A troubleshooting window will appear, simply click on Next.
- If it detects any problems then repair it by following some prompts and Click on Close.
- After this process gets finished, you must boot into normal mood.
- To do that, go to Boot tab, uncheck the “safe boot” option.
- Click on Apply and OK to save changes made.
- Now, restart your computer
Also Read: Fix Blue Screen of Death Windows 10
So, that’s it all about WMI provider host. In this article we have tried to cover all the information related to wmi provider host and Fix WmiPrvSE.exe WMI Provider Host High CPU as per our knowledge. If you have any other methods by which you solve your problem please do Share. If you have further any queries feel free ask.