Windows 10 has comes with lots of new features. In this long list of features, a new Telemetry and data collection features is also there, that collects all your user data and send it back to Microsoft. Even though Microsoft has tagged this feature a way to improve the user experience. Still, there are allegations on Microsoft that it is spying on you. Some user doesn’t want to share their data, as the data stored in their system is highly sensitive. Also, some of the users reported that Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry process has recently started causing very high disk usage on your Windows 10 system.Many users have reported that after updating to Windows 10, they have started facing many issues with storage. The users reported this issue as windows 10 Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High Disk issue.
- 1 How to Disable Microsoft compatibility telemetry windows 10
- 2 How to Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry (By CompatTelRunner.exe)
- 2.1 Fix High CPU & Disk Usage Issue by CompatTelRunner.exe
What is Microsoft compatibility Telemetry??
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is a service in Windows 10 which Contains technical data about the how the Windows devices and its related software is working and send this data periodically to Microsoft so as to enhance the user experience by fixing the Potential issues that occur.
Uses of Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry:
- Allows windows to keep up-to-date.
- Lets the windows secure, reliable and perform well even in adverse situations.
- Allows windows to Personalise or customise windows engagement surfaces.
- Enhance the performance of windows through aggregate analysis
what is Windows telemetry data?? This Data includes basic system diagnostics information, logs of how frequently you use features and applications, system files, and likely more metrics that have yet to be disclosed. All this type of data comes under the Telemetry data.
Following are the specific examples of Windows Telemetry data:
- Typed text on keyboard sent every 30 minutes
- Anything you say into a microphone is transmitted
- Transcripts of things you say while using Cortana
- Index of all media files on your computer
- When your webcam is first enabled, 35mb of data.
How to Disable Microsoft compatibility telemetry windows 10
So, as we mentioned above what the Microsoft compatibility telemetry does and if you want to disable the telemetry services and if you don’t know how to do this. Here are given some methods by which you can disbale Microsoft compatibility telemetry in windows 10.
Method 1 – By Group Policy Editor
step 1: On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at a time in order to invoke Run command.
step 2: Type gpedit.msc and click OK.
step 3: Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds.
step 4: Double-click Allow Telemetry.
step 5: Select Disabled, then click OK.
Method 2 – By Registry Editor
step 1: On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to invoke a Run command.
step 2: Type regedit in the box and click OK.
step 3: Click YES when prompted by User Account Control.
step 4: Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows >DataCollection
***Pro Tip: If you can’t find Allow Telemetry, then to create it follow the step which am going to say now. First Right-click on DataCollection and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, Then name the new value Allow Telemetry.
step 5: Double-click Allow Telemetry.
step 6: Set Value date to 0 (zero) and click OK.
So, now you have successfully able to Microsoft compatibility telemetry disable windows 10 above given methods will prove helpful to you to Turn Off Telemetry in Windows 10. If still, you have the high disk usage issue then we have mentioned some other methods too to help you. You can also try them.
How to Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry (By CompatTelRunner.exe)
There are 4 methods to disable Microsoft Compatibility telemetry through CompatTelRunner.exe file but before that you must know what CompatTelRunner.exe is and what it does.
***Note: To fix or disable Microsoft Compatibility telemetry issues, use table of contents directly and go to the section “fix high CPU and disk Usage Issue by CompatTelRunner.exe”
what is CompatTelRunner.exe?
- It is a process which is used to upgrade your system to the latest OS version or other Service Pack upgrades.
- This process is part of a Windows Update, specifically the KB2977759 one, which stands as the Compatibility update for Windows 7 RTM (Release to Manufacturer).
- It takes up storage bandwidth which may slow down your PC, and you will most likely want to get rid of it. Users complained of multiple CompatTellRunner.exe files showing up in the Task Manager consuming CPU and Disk Usage.
What does CompatTelRunner.exe do?
- It is used to perform diagnostics on your computer to determine if there is the possibility of compatibility issues and collects program telemetry information if opted-in to the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program.
- It allows Microsoft to ensure compatibility when you want to install the latest version of Windows OS.
How the CompatTelRunner.exe file effects?
- The CompatTelRunner.exe file is located in the System32 folder and is owned by the TrustedInstaller any modifications you try to do to it will be met with an “Access is denied” error, which means that you can’t modify or delete it in any way.
- This is because the process is owned by TrustedInstaller, and everything else only has a Read Only permission over it, and you can’t modify it. Though this process isn’t necessary and can be deleted if you do want Microsoft to diagnose your system by itself and run the compatibility checks, then let it run. This can be a privacy concern for some.
Fix High CPU & Disk Usage Issue by CompatTelRunner.exe
The Microsoft telemetry service uses high CPU resources and utilises lot of disk space so to fix this issue follow the below methods.
Method 1: Disable CompatTelTunner.exe from Task Scheduler
- Hold the Windows Key and Press R. Type taskschd.msc and Click OK.
- Expand Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Application Experience
- Right click on any of the tasks listed as Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser and choose Disable.
Method 2: Take ownership of CompatTellRunner.exe, and delete it afterwards
The process is a fairly straightforward one, but make sure not to skip steps and keep in mind that you should be logged in as an administrator.
step 1: Open Run Dialog box ( Windows key + R) and type the following C:\Windows\System32
step 2: Then a window will appear. From that find CompatTelRunner.exe folder.
step 3: Now Right-click on CompatTelRunner to Select properties
step 4: Now, you need to go to security Tab, after that click on Advanced Button.
Step 5: Once if you find the Owner tab then select edit button
Step 6: After that a window appears, then select Administrators. Click Apply and Ok to save Changes made.
step 7: You will be met with a prompt that warns you to close all Properties windows that are currently open in order to change the ownership, so hit OK Button and close them.
step 8: When you’ve changed the owner of the file, next you should change the permissions. To do that, right-click the Compattelrunner.exe file again, and open Properties.
step 9: Go to the Security tab and click Advanced once again. Within the window, select Permissions tab, and from the list that pops out, select the account you are using and choose Edit.
step 10: You will see a new window with options about the permissions. You need to Select the current user account which you are using and click the Allow column box for Full control. Then Click Apply and hit OK to save the change.
Step 11: That’s all! Now you can delete CompatTelRunner.exe file.
When you’re done with this, you are the owner of the file, not TrustedInstaller, and you have full control over it, meaning you can delete it without being met with the Access is denied error. Feel free to do so, and you won’t see it taking over much-needed resources from your system.
Method 3: Repair Corrupt System Files
Download and run Reimage Plus to scan and repair corrupt/missing files from here, if files are found to be corrupt and missing repair them and then see if the problem persists if it does, move onto the next Method below.
Method 4: Run Command Prompt in Administration Mode
step 1: Click Windows button and type cmd.
step 2: Now run the command Prompt as Administrator. To do so Right click on command prompt and choose run as Administrator.
step 3: Type the following commands carefully and press enter after typing each command
- sc delete DiagTrack
- sc delete dmwappushservice
- echo “” > C:\\ProgramData\\Microsoft\\Diagnosis\\ETLLogs\\AutoLogger\\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl
reg add “HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Policies\\Microsoft\\Windows\\DataCollection” /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
No doubt Windows 10 is the most user-friendly operating system, yet it has some issues. In this article, we have tried to cover all the important aspects related to Microsoft telemetry windows 10. We explained all the methods to disable Telemetry in Windows 10. We hope now you learned how to do Microsoft compatibility telemetry disable Windows 10. So do you have any other methods, if yes then let us know? Yeah and if any query feels free to ask. J