Windows users are well versed with the fact that if they are using the pirated version of Windows OS, then anytime they may receive a message saying “This Copy of Windows is not Genuine”. This is which encounters when the Windows OS you are using is not genuine or pirated version. If you receive this error message on your Windows PC, then no need to get panic as you will come across with tested and tried fixes for the error “This Copy of Windows is not Genuine”.
PS: This is a complete and ultimate error fixing tutorial only for educational purposes and this tutorial never supports piracy and it is highly suggested that to quick fix the This Copy of Windows is not a Genuine error on your PC, you must use only the genuine Windows License.
This Copy of Windows is not Genuine error – Fix
Below you will come across with step-by-step processes and methods on how to fix This Copy of Windows is not a Genuine error on your Windows PC and Laptop. You will also learn why and how this type of error occurs on your PC along with some precautions to avoid such error messages on your PC.
Why is it Necessary to Fix This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine Error?
The common causes of this error on your PC are due to a pirated version of Windows that you are using on your PC without genuine Windows License. This type of error usually hampers the overall performance of your system and also damages the PC permanently, if left untreated. Find out the reasons why it is necessary to fix the This Copy of Windows is not Genuine error.
- Since it reduces the overall performance of the PC and makes the system slower, it is necessary to fix it at the earliest
- The pop-up error message may make the users frustrated while working on some important projects
- The battery life of your Laptop may get reduced by long-term effect of this error
- Users are restricted from accessing the important Windows updates and features after the error occurs
- The background of the PC gets blackout, and the wallpaper will be disabled automatically
- The error message sometimes gets stuck on the screen and remains there permanently until you fix the error. This restricts you from using the system.
These are some of the related errors which may occur when you are using the pirated version of Windows OS without genuine Windows License. However, the fixes for all these related errors are the same.
Why This Copy of Windows is not Genuine Error Message Keeping Popping Up?
There are in fact two primary reasons why the This Copy of Windows, not Genuine Error keep on popping up.
- Firstly, when you are using pirated version of Windows OS without genuine Windows License
- Secondly, this error message occurs when the Windows OS is genuine but outdated. In such case, you will keep receiving the error message until you update the Windows License and reinstall the updates.
How to Fix This Copy of Windows not Genuine Error on Windows PC and Laptop?
Method # 1
- Go to the Windows Menu and launch the RUN command and type CMD. Open the CMD as administrator, or you can directly follow the shortcut by pressing Win+R button together to open the run program
- Soon after the CMD is launched as an administrator, you need to type SLMGR-REAM and hit the enter button to search it. In seconds you will get the notification of Command Completed Successfully. If this command doesn’t work on your Laptop or PC, then try out another command SLMGR/REARM and click the enter key.
- Now you will be asked to restart the system, so simply follow the instructions and restart the system.
You are done and the error This Copy of Windows is not Genuine will be fixed automatically. After you restart the system you will no longer see the error message on your system and the wallpaper will restore. So, enjoy using the system again. If the error message appears again, then you need to find the new error message which is popping up and get the solution below.
Error #1 – Maximum Allowed Number of Rearms has Surpassed or Exceeded
- Open the RUN from the Start Menu of Windows
- Type regedit.exe in the RUN and hit enter button to launch the Registry
- Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >Software>Microsoft>WindowsNT>Current Version>SoftwareProtectionPlatform
- Scroll down and select SkipRearm and Click on Modify to change the value data from o to 1
- Restart the System after modification
Error #2: SLGMR is not Identified as Internal or External Command
This error occurs when you make any mistake while opening or launching the Command in CMD. So, ensure to type correctly “SLMGR-REARM” without giving any space in between the code. If you type with space then the error will occur
- If it is not fixed then go to “My Computer” and launch the “C Drive
- Launch the Windows Folder and Search for System32 folder
- Scroll down to find slmgr.vbs.REMOVEWAT
- Rename it with slmgr.vbs and remove the REMOVEWAT
- Click “OK” and you are done, the error will be fixed.
- Open the Control Panel from Start Menu
- Click on “System & Security”
- Choose the option of Windows Update
- After that, you are required to click on View Installed Updates
- Search for the update with the name “KB971033”
- Right click on this update and click on “Uninstall” option
- If it asks for your confirmation, then simply confirm it
Now restart the system and you are done with the fixes for This Copy of Windows is not Genuine Error. Now you will be able to access the features and you won’t receive the error message on your PC again. You can enjoy using the Windows PC once again. If you still receive the error message then try out the below method!
This is the last fix for the error This Copy of Windows is not Genuine. This fix is named as RSOP or Resultant Set of Policy Windows. Below you will come across with the steps which you need to perform to fix This Copy of Windows is not Genuine with RSOP Method.
- Go to the Start Menu and Open the “RUN” program or directly open it by pressing the WIN+R button together from your keyboard
- Now you need to type “rsop.msc” and hit enter button on the keyboard to launch it
- Go to the Windows Settings >> Security Settings >> System Services
- Now you need to scroll down to find the “Plug and Play” option from the list
- Right click on “Plug & Play” option and again click the “Start-up” button and choose the “Automatic” option
- Again go back to RUN window on your PC and search for gpupdate/force common and hit the enter key
- Within few seconds the system will restart and you are done
These steps will help you to fix the This Copy of Windows is not a Genuine error on your PC and Laptop. This error can be easily fixed with the Method #1, but in some system the first method may not work and hence they need to follow the ultimate and the third method to fix the error.
Tips to Prevent This Copy of Windows is not Genuine Error
- Tip One – Disable the Automatic Update for Windows on PC – This type of error usually occurs when the Windows get updated automatically. So, it is necessary that you turn off the auto update for windows on your PC to prevent the error from occurring. You can disable the Auto-Update for Windows from Control Panel
- Tip Two – Buy Genuine Windows License from Microsoft – The second tip is to buy the genuine copy of Windows OS along with its valid license so as to avoid receiving such error messages while using the Windows PC or Laptop.